Saturday, March 14, 2009

An Increase in Your Water Bill

On March 11, Houston City Council voted 11-2 to increase water bills by 5%, 3.3% for inflation and 1.7% for maintenance. Altogether, citizens are looking at about a $2.00 increase. Costs for water already automatically adjust for inflation, but now costs will increase as the population increases.

I understand that we need to maintain the water system. This is vital for not only District A residents, but for all of Houston; however, this raise apparently will not even cover the costs needed to repair and maintain the system. Where, I wonder, is the rest of the money coming from? Also, an increase based on population doesn't seem like the best way to get people to want to move to the city.

Thank you to Council Members Pam Holm and Mike Sullivan for taking a stand and voting no. One of the many things I want to do on City Council is enact budget reform. There are better ways to take care of these necessary items for the city than constantly raising costs for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment